Some words of advice:
- Do not use your nails as instrument….like a can opener.
- If you are a nail biter, please stop doing it.
- If you use nail polish regularly, give those babies a break and spend some nail-polish free days.
- Cut your nails short at the first sign of breakage.
- Do not cut cuticles! [The cuticle is the skin that grows from the finger onto the base of the nail or nail root.]
Push the cuticle gently back with an orange wood stick or a soft cloth.
- You do not have to do anything extra if you take care of your hands and feet daily at the shower.
- Keep the washing part for the last. Because the water from your body will soften the skin of your feet so when you brush your feet after cleaning your whole body, the process will be easier.
- Use a pumice stone to slough away calluses if you have any.
- Clean your feet at least twice daily, in the shower and before going to bed.
- Take an empty hand-soap container (or anything with pump).
- Mix 1 part olive oil (or baby oil or coconut oil) with 3 parts water.
- Keep this concoction near your sink, so that everytime you wash your hands you can just take a pump and apply it onto your hands. Just shake well before you use.
- If you don’t want to splurge in any hand creams, keep a little jar with your usual body cream in your purse. Whenever you wash it, or feel like it’s getting drier (due to seasonal change or AC) just take some and massage onto your hands & digits.
- After shower and before going to bed moisturize with a thick cream. I use Nivea body lotion at day time and petroleum jelly at night. It’s inexpensive and widely available.
HOW TO GET RID OF THE DARK SPOTS
- Take a bowl with warm water.
- Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda [it is a wonderful exfoliant!] You can also make hands-feet scrub by using 3 parts Baking Soda and 1 part water.
- Slice a lemon and put it in the mixture [for freshness and anti-inflammatory property]
- Now put your hands or feet into this mixture and let them soak well.
- Take a large brush (for feet) or a small unused toothbrush (for hands & nails).
- Clean under your nails, the upper and lower part in gentle circular motion.
- Wash the entire residue in clear water.
What will you need:
- Lemon- 1
- Potato- 1
- Turmeric- 1
- Milk- 1 tbsp
- Cut all the ingredients and blend well. Add milk.
- Apply the paste onto your hands and feet and let it sit for 20-30 minutes.
- Wash with cool water and moisturize as usual.
- You can apply this mask once or twice per week. But you must use sunscreen if you use this mask.