|Pardon the awkward posture! My hair shown here, is without any products or heat styling.|
- When the cold weather sets in, skip washing your hair every day. When you wash your hair, apply conditioner to the ends of the hair (yes, even you are not using shampoo, use the conditioner).
- If your scalp is very oily and your hair is thin, then you can shampoo your hair 2/3 times… but as my hair is curly and thick, I stick to using the shampoo once weekly in winter. If the scalp seems too oily, I just clean the scalp with a shampoo and wash the rest of my hair with conditioner. Trust me, it’s very effective.
- Do not, I repeat, DO NOT use hot water onto the scalp or your hair. It’s very damaging. Use WARM water instead…and after washing your hair with the warm water, use normal/cold water for the final rinse. The blast of cold water seals in the hair cuticles and makes hair shiny.
- After washing your hair, take a few drops of olive/almond oil, apply to the ends of your hair and apply the remaining oil (left on your palms) to the top portion of your head/hair. In this way, you are not weighing your hair down with oil and the hair soaks the oil while it dries.
WHAT WILL YOU NEED
- A nourishing conditioner (any conditioner for dry/damaged/colored hair).
I am using Lolane Natura Hair treatment [review here] and sometimes L’Oreal hair spa.
- Olive oil
- Wash your hair thoroughly as usual with your regular shampoo.
- After washing it completely with warm water, soak the excess water with a towel.
- Mix the conditioner with olive oil well. The oil : conditioner ratio depends upon your hair length and hair texture. I have added 2 tbsp of olive oil as my hair is rough and tends to be dry. You can reduce the amount to 1 tsp if your hair is thin and silky.
- Place a quarter-sized amount of conditioner into the palm of your hand and rub your hands together.
- Apply the mixture to the end of the hair 1st, and then proceed upwards. Avoid the scalp area.
- Leave the mask for at least 10 minutes. Then wash it thoroughly with cold water. Generally after I have applied it I put my hair cap on and leave it for 15-20 minutes. You can use a dry towel instead of the hair cap.
|Before applying the mask.|
|After applying the mask and towel dried hair|
|Air dried hair.|
|Hair after blow-drying.|
- You cannot neglect your diet and expect a healthy hair/skin. I take Omega 3 fish oil [benefits here] daily and it is really beneficial for skin and hair.
- If you are prone to very dry & brittle hair, you can also take vitamin B supplements…. But if you have any pre-existing medical condition, consult your doctor 1st.
- I avoid hair spray and gel kind of products as much as possible. These make hair much drier. If you want to use any hair product, use a good quality leave-in conditioner instead.